Here is an overview of the most popular file downloading software for torrent file sharing of 2008. I’ve included some of their features and what makes each client rock or suck. Personal experience may vary for each user, so my take on this maybe different from yours. However, my review of these clients may be of help to you in choosing a better torrent client.
Popular as both “u-torrent” and “micro torrent”, this is the most popular torrent tool today for newbies and geeks alike. µTorrent has all the functions a torrent downloader will ever need, and it only requires 1 MB of hard drive space and memory. µTorrent has all the downloading and seeding performance of its competitors, but with minimal impact to the rest of your computer’s speed. What makes me use this is that it has a portable version, pretty nifty for immediate use in any PC. Beware, however, if not properly configured, µtorrent can suck away all your bandwidth thereby rendering other net-activities paralyzed.
- Multiple simultaneous downloads
- Smart bandwidth usage
- File level priorities
- Configurable bandwidth scheduling
- Global and per-torrent speed limiting
- Quickly resumes interrupted transfers
- UPnP support (WinXP only)
- Supports popular protocol extensions
- Trackerless support (Mainline DHT)
- Localized to different languages
- Typical memory use less than 6 MB
- Incredibly small: 105 KB
This is my favorite client. A popular tool that has a built-in torrent search engine…you may never need to use a torrent search web site ever again with this software. Never had any problems or headaches with Bitlord, though if you check at times, some trackers might try to block Bitlord for some reasons.
- Automatic optimization for different connections.
- Automatic optimization of uploads to achieve the max download
- Reduces fragmentation on the drive.
- Eliminates the time-consuming hashing when seeding / resume.
- Allows some firewalled or “NAT’d” users to connect to each other.
- Compliant with XP‘s restrictions on the TCP stack by SP2.
- Block IP’s temporarily or permanently.
- All downloads are received through a single port.
- No manual ICS or ICF configuration required.
- Automatically configures UPnP compatible routers
- Can find peers from more than one source.
- Supports the UTF-8 character set.
- Automatically checks for new versions.
- Over 19 languages supported.
- Support for eDonkey (Beta version only)
A Java language client; was considered “king” of the torrent programs until uTorrent software came along and took that crown away. Azureus is a memory and performance hog. Users are scared away because of the performance hit. If you have less than 512mb RAM and you’re a gamer like me, skip this.
- Manual peer upload blocking (when seeding) and kick-banning
- Control added to not cache small files
- Advanced network settings: MTU, SO_RCVBUF, SO_SNDBUF, IPTOS
- Plugin support for installing and uninstaling plugins
- Client identification plugin interface
- Separate protocol payload and overhead stats
- Network selection support (public, i2p, tor)
Good, but losing popularity to µTorrent. Advertised by most tracker sites.
- Intelligent Connection Optimize
- Intelligent Rate Control, optimize the upload
- Intelligent Disk Cache, decrease the potential damage
- Intelligent Disk Allocating, no long-time disk allocation
- Intelligent Hash Scan, no time-consuming scanning when seeding
- Firewall and NAT Traversal
- Auto config ICF (Internet Connection Firewall)
- Auto config port mapping in router
Another very popular Torrent client
- Multiple downloads in a single window
- Queueing system with priority
- Ability to customize the information ABC displays
- Supporing pause, stop, resume, queue, remove operations
- Minimize to taskbar (and/or system tray)
- Displaying torrent details
- Supporting advanced settings from BitTornado
TurbtBT-Turbo BitTorrent download Client Tool. New GUI design of implementation of BitTorrent protocol. Build by wxPython ,python22 . Standard windows style. easy to use. Use new BitTorrent core 3.3. Looks great for the GUI.
- Add download mission dialog. Full customize download.
- Torrent manager
- Redesign GUI
- Customize Rate Setting
- Play sound when finished.
- Save custom config. Dynamic change speed setting
- Customize Port
- Files now only get allocated as they’re downloaded
- Multi Thread Download
- Download Queue
- Auto shutdown computer when all finished